As we are nearing 2024, we want to reflect on our remarkable journey together in 2023. It’s been a year filled with accomplishment, growth, and, most importantly, student successes.
This year, we have been incredibly grateful to support:
And be the reading partner of choice for multi-academy trusts such as:
The progress and commitment we’ve witnessed this year from students is outstanding. We recognise and commend every teacher for all the time spent supporting, encouraging, and celebrating your students’ reading journeys.
The Reading Plus impact
A core value of Reading Solutions UK is ‘making a difference’. We aim to improve students’ life chances and successes through Reading Plus and by supporting teachers with comprehensive student data. Working so closely with schools, we see our impact on school and student outcomes first-hand.
We were thrilled to have been recognised as finalists in several prestigious awards, including:
Education Today School and Supplier Awards 2023
Voting stage: Best supplier of ICT software
Global EdTech Awards 2023 – Finalists:
- Best EdTech product (software) – Reading Plus.
- Best established company – Reading Solutions UK.
- Best co-production project – Efficacy study in partnership with Derby Research School and Spencer Academies Trust.
Education Resources Awards (ERA)
Shortlisted: Collaboration between school and supplier – Efficacy study in partnership with Derby Research School and Spencer Academies Trust.
BESA Awards – Shortlisted:
- Team of the Year – Reading Solutions UK’s Operations Team.
- Rising Star Award – Robbie Bowes (IT Lead and Operations Administrator)
Shortlisted: Collaboration with a school – Efficacy study in partnership with Derby Research School and Spencer Academies Trust.
Informing practice with our free KS3 white paper
Providing educators with the latest research and industry news to inform strategies is something we are passionate about. In previous years, we have launched a white paper on EdTech and Reading for Pleasure. This year, we published our second white paper, Reading in KS3: Challenge, impact, outcomes, which explores the KS3 landscape and discusses the broader implications of developing an effective reading culture.
We collected over 100 survey responses from educators responsible for delivering the KS3 English curriculum across the UK. This included Classroom Teachers, Key Stage Coordinators, Heads of Literacy, and Senior Leaders (Assistant Principals/Headteachers/Heads of Departments, and more), specifically focusing on transition, skill gaps, challenges, priorities, and reading strategies.
Our commitment to supporting our Reading Plus partner schools is unwavering.
Throughout the year, our free dedicated Customer Support Team were on hand to:
- Provide unlimited online training and support for educators.
- Monitor all user account administration.
- Produce termly reports to evidence impact.
- Answer users’ queries and resolve issues promptly via online calls and emails.
- Provide bespoke advice.
- Share downloadable resources and training guides to all users.
Thank you to our Customer Support Team, who wholeheartedly commit to ensuring all Reading Plus schools get the most out of their licence. This year, they have:
- Provided free online training to 1,424 teachers.
- Created over 450 student progress reports.
- Awarded 24 hardworking students as Star of the Month.
Providing an exceptional experience for our customers
We believe success is built on strong, trusting relationships. We accomplish this through our exciting initiatives, which help foster a culture of reading excellence. This year, we launched our:
- Reading Plus Champion role – for students who are passionate about reading and would enjoy additional reading challenges such as writing blogs and interviewing authors.
- Summer Reading Competition – which encouraged children to read during the summer holidays to prevent the summer reading dip. This was to ensure students were ready to return to school, aid the successful transition between year groups, and help students retain knowledge and skills learned in the previous school year. We also had a fun Bingo challenge where students completed mini reading tasks.
- Spring Storyboard Competition – invited students to use their creative imaginations and design a storyboard based on a story synopsis. The winning prize was a creative writing workshop for their class.
We also relaunched a series of free events and competitions to celebrate the achievements of students and educators alike.
- The International Reading Conference
- Spring Term Challenge
- Reading Plus Awards
- Start-up Challenge
- Festive Poem Competition
Giving back to our community
In the spirit of kindness and generosity, our staff actively participated in charitable endeavours throughout the year, supporting causes such as:
- Macmillan Cancer Support
- Save the Children
- Cash for Kids: Mission Christmas
- BEAT eating disorders
- Mental Health Foundation
- Period Poverty
- BBC Children in Need
New faces joined the Reading Solutions UK team
Throughout the year, our team expanded with the addition of incredibly talented and skilled people who have been fantastic additions. We look forward to the positive impact they will continue to make for our schools in the new year.
Last but certainly not least – we want to thank you
As we step into 2024, we carry all of these achievements and memories with us, eager to continue our journey of empowering students, supporting educators, and championing the love of reading.
Thank you to everyone who took the time to share their Reading Plus experiences in our case studies, student blogs, and teacher blogs. It is wonderful to hear how our programme impacts students and staff.
Here is to another year of integrity, collaboration, and making a difference together!